It is now an undisputed fact that distracted drivers are dangerous drivers. The latest figures show that it may be as high as one in four accidents are caused by distractions associated with mobile phones.
The best way to remove complications while driving is to stop it from happening. Depending on the phone or even car you drive there are a variety of solutions for this problem.
The most oblivious solution is to put your phone on silent or airplane mode. This will stop your phone from ringing or sending notifications. For those of us who need to stay a bit more connected, there are different options depending on the operating system of the device.
For Android Users
- Android Auto
- Android Auto integrates your phone with your vehicle making it easier to use your apps while in the car.
- Auto-respond is part of Android Auto, which you can set up on a compatible unit or install on any modern Android phone. Tap the menu button, then Settings, then Auto-reply and compose your message. This solution isn’t totally automated. You will still need to tap the reply button when a message comes in.
- Install an App
- OneTap is easy to use App that can manage all of your calls and text by auto-responding with customised messages.
- SMS Auto Reply Text Message is for those of you with more sophisticated messaging needs this app allows you to create various profiles with auto responders set up for each situation. For example, driving, flying, and holiday messages can all be sorted via this app.
For Apple iOS Users
- Apple CarPlay
- This feature of the iOS operating system integrates your car and phone from the car dashboard. It operates on the same principles of the Android Auto, making it easier to use the phone and apps while in the car. It is only available with a limited number of cars at the moment but is set to increase as new car models are developed.
- Put Phone On Airplane Mode or Silent
- At this time Apple does not allow access to its operating system for this type of functionality. So for iOS users, the next best option is to put your phone on silent or airplane mode.
As our phones become more integrated into every aspect of our lives, it will be interesting to see how our car and phone usage evolves.
If you have any questions regarding installing or settings on your phone, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We would love to help!